[R] zip.file.extract on Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 31 10:47:51 CEST 2007

The current (you give no version information) help file says:

     file: A file name. (If a path is given, see 'Note'.)

  zipname: The file name (not path) of a 'zip' archive, including the
           '".zip"' extension if required.

      This is a helper function for 'help', 'example' and 'data'.  As
      such, it handles file paths in an unusual way.  Any path component
      of 'zipname' is ignored, and the path to 'file' is used only to
      determine the directory within which to find 'zipname'.

You do seem to have missed all of these hints, as well as the posting
guide (see the comments at the end of this reply).

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Gregg Lind wrote:

> Hello R-help!
>
> I just wanted to share a tip might help others of us stuck on R.

> The documentation for zip.file.extract is rather scant, and a few
> examples would.

> When using zip.file.extract, the first argument should be the full (or
> relative) path and the second the name of the zip file, it seems.

> While this is counterintuitive to me, that it should get the part from

what is 'the part' here?