[R] looking for equivalent of matlab's medfilt1 function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 7 17:29:45 CEST 2007

    Vladimir> Dear all,
    Vladimir> I have several files with Matlab code, which I am translating to R.

    Vladimir> For the zero-level approach, I took the very old
    Vladimir> shell script from R-help archives, which has made
    Vladimir> some obvious leg-work such as replacement of "="
    Vladimir> with "<-".

    Vladimir> Now I am translating indexing, matrix operations and function call using
    Vladimir> this table
    Vladimir> http://37mm.no/mpy/octave-r.html

You should also look at the 'matlab' package which
defines quite a few R functions such as eyes(), zeros(), repmat(),
to behave as the Matlab functions do.

    Vladimir> The problem is, I cannot find the R equivalent of the matlab's function
    Vladimir> medfilt1, performing 1-dimensional median filtering of a vector. Its summary
    Vladimir> is here http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/matlab/toolbox/signal/medfilt1.html
To statisticians, this has been known as "running medians",
thanks to John Tukey.
The smooth() function contains "smart" variations of
"running median of 3" which seems to be the matlab default.

For 'k > 3', I'd recommend the fast  runmed(x, k)
function which also has a bit more sophisticated end-point
handling than Matlab's medfilt1() seems to provide.

Martin