[R] FW: [OT] Is data copyrightable?

Ben Klemens klemens at hss.caltech.edu
Mon May 14 14:08:05 CEST 2007

Hadley,

The relevant case law in the USA is Feist Publications v. Rural Telephone
Corp. (499 U.S. 340, 1991). In this case, one phone book publisher
basically lifted a competing publisher's listings wholesale. The courts
found that this was _not_ copyright infringement. The logic is that
copyright infringement requires some sort of creative step, which
alphabetizing names does not pass.

Another ruling regarding somewhat more intersting data states that
"only the manner and order in which [the data] are presented" may
be copyrighted.  So in the USA, you have to ask what value you are
adding on top of the raw data, if any.  This is discussed briefly in the
below-mentioned _Math You Can't Use_ on page 147. [Amazon.com will let you
read the section online, though I don't say much more than I did here.]

The EU has a "sweat of the brow" protection that is not quite
copyright, but allows copyright-like protection on databases. Wikipedia
knows as much about this law as I do, so see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_on_the_legal_protection_of_databases

Regards,

B Klemens