[R] Odp: x axis problems

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon May 14 14:57:08 CEST 2007

Hi

r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch napsal dne 14.05.2007 13:45:25:

> I have been searching for the R manual, unable to solve my problem.
>
> Questions
>
> 1) How can I put the x axis at the top of the plot?

see ?axis

> 2) I am plotting data from a CTD. I want to add series sal, obs and fluo
> at  the same plot by using points(sal,deepth) ets. The data have
> different values so I want to use multiple x axis (4) with different
> scaling. How can I do that?

plot(sal,depth,ylim=c(100,0),xlim=c(-0.0120,62),type="l",col.axis="",xaxt="s",xlab="")
> points(temp,depth,type="l",col="red")
> points(obs,depth,type="l",col="green")
> points(fluo,depth,type="l",col="blue")

Strange, usually people want multiple y axes.

Maybe you could look at setting 4 panels for plotting e.g.

par(mfrow=c(2,2))

before doing your actual plot.

If you insist on plotting 4 lines with 4 x axes into one plot then you
need to make some adjustment prior plotting. You shall scale sal, temp,
obs and fluo into some comparable figures e.g. to 0-1 and after plotting
you need to add 4 axes with correct numbers (see at parameter). Adding 2 x
axes (top and bottom) is strightforward, however adding next 2 x axes
seems to be tricky (you probably need to use combination of lines and
segments).

Regards
Petr