[R] x axis problems

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Mon May 14 15:35:07 CEST 2007

Quoting Ener Borg <ener.borg at bio.uio.no>:

> I have been searching for the R manual, unable to solve my problem.
>
> Questions
>
> 1) How can I put the x axis at the top of the plot?

as others indicated, check ?axis... the parameter 'pos=3' will display
the axis on top

> 2) I am plotting data from a CTD. I want to add series sal, obs and fluo
> at  the same plot by using points(sal,deepth) ets. The data have
> different values so I want to use multiple x axis (4) with different
> scaling. How can I do that?
>
> plot(sal,depth,ylim=c(100,0),xlim=c(-0.0120,62),type="l",col.axis="",xaxt="s",xlab="")
> points(temp,depth,type="l",col="red")
> points(obs,depth,type="l",col="green")
> points(fluo,depth,type="l",col="blue")

in addition to what others have suggested, you may use:

par(new=T) (check ?par)

this will allow you to superimpose a plot on another. You can then do
a first plot with your first set of points, then call par(new=T), and
plot your second set of points whilst setting the axis type to "none",
so the axes are not ploted. Then you can use 'axis' to display a new
axis in teh position you want for the new range of points... repeat if
needed for other sets.

I hope this sets you in the right direction.

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374