[R] How to create an R RPM from source

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnl.gov
Mon May 21 16:46:49 CEST 2007

I use some computers that run older versions of Redhat Linux such as
EL3.  RPMs for the current version of R are no longer provided via CRAN
for these older operating system versions.  How can I compile my own RPM
for the current version of R, which I could then use to install R
quickly and easily on multiple machines?  Perhaps the answer to this
would be a useful addition to the manual R Installation and
Administration.   Obviously, I am not a system administrator and I don't
deal with compiling from source code or using SRPMs very much.  If
anyone can explain the process step-by-step or refer me to instructions
for the non-expert I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Scott Waichler
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
scott.waichler _at_ pnl.gov