[R] Lattice: par.ylab.text alpha ?

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 06:57:56 CET 2007

On 11/1/07, Folkes, Michael <FolkesM at pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:

> wohoo!  A bug.  I know I wasn't the first to find it, but I had a hunch this
> time that it was going to be a bug and not just my poor understanding.  I
> wasn't really thinking as just ylab="" works fine too.  I think I was hoping
> to squeeze it (the ylab) closer to the axis w/o axis labels.

There's nothing specially meant for ylab, but you can supply a factor
for all layout widths and heights; e.g., compare

xyplot(1 ~ 1, ylab = "foo", par.settings = list(layout.widths = list(ylab = 2)))
xyplot(1 ~ 1, ylab = "foo", par.settings = list(layout.widths = list(ylab = 0)))

> Now that we're on topic.  If I turn off the axes lines using alpha, is there
> a way to turn on just axis 1/2/3/4?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but try variants of

xyplot(1 ~ 1, scales = list(alternating = 0/1/2/3, tck = 0/1))

-Deepayan