[R] pipe scan timeout

yoooooo magno_yu at ml.com
Tue Nov 6 16:03:32 CET 2007

Hi all,

     Usually when I do a command in shell and have the output read from R, I
like to do this:

     pp <- pipe(cmd)
     sol <- scan(pp, what="character", sep="\n")

     I prefer this one over read.table since read.table somewhere has a gc
call and it's slow.

     However, sometimes the cmd takes a while to run and somehow scan/pipe
waits for like 5 seconds and return 0 results (even though the shell command
returns something if i were to put it in shell after 2 min). So i THINK
there's some timeout kicking around somewhere. Do you guys know what the
options would be or if this is a timeout issue at all or if there's a better
way to do this?

     I tried options('timeout') and I have it set to 60 seconds.. so i don't
think it's that options..

Thanks!
-yooooooooo