[R] analysis of large data set

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 17 10:25:17 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
[ ... ]

> What is strange is that no one has ever thanked us for finding out
> (despite most Microsoft documentation) that you can get up to 3.5Gb in a
> 32-bit process on certain 64-bit versions of Windows and enabling you to
> use it in recent versions of R.

Maybe because most people seeking to use large memory spaces gave up on
Windows and went Unix/Linux instead ?

Don't get me wrong : Maintaining and extending R abilities is an amazing
feat, and is extremely appreciated by lots of users. However, many
people find with time that the Unix/Linux environment, facilities,
etc... are much more fitted to statistical workflow than their Windows
counterparts and switch to it (at least for this part of their
workload). Afterwards, the Windows-specific parts of a "New features end
enhancements" section in an R release announcement tent to be a bit ...
overlooked (seen, read and almost immediately forgotten, I confess...).

					Emmanuel Charpentier