[R] Packages - a great resource, but hard to find the right one

Loren Engrav engrav at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 27 02:08:01 CET 2007

It is clear that R and Bio are amazing resources and that many people invest
lots of time in making them work, thank you

Having said that
>From the point of view of an R/Bio novice an improved method to find
packages would be very helpful as suggested by John Sorkin

Three other things would also be helpful

1) a page titled "for the newbie" where the startup directions are clearly
outlined, like "print out the R Reference Index which can be found <here>
and read it", etc

2) the vignette's are quite terse and many assume the reader already knows
something which may not be true, it would helpful if at the top of each
there be a short paragraph saying "before you read this, you must read this
and this"

3) "old timers" stop saying "please read the documentation" as I read that
insatiably and if it fixed the problem I would not ask the next question,
would be more helpful to say "in vignette xyz at the bottom you will find
abc which will show you what to do" and would also follow the example of
Bolker which educates and encourages the newbies

Thank you

Loren Engrav
Univ Wash
Seattle