[R] r-package RDCOMClient

Marcin Kopaczynski marcin.kopaczynski at soundinvest.net
Thu Oct 4 08:03:22 CEST 2007

the windows version on both machines is the same, namely

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

the r-version is also the same: 2.5.1
RDCOMClient-version on both machines is 0.91-0
rcom-version on both machines is 1.5-2.2

what is different, for both machines is that they are installed in
different networks. on the machine on which R crashes most of the
software is installed by the adminstrator. when i install a software it
is installed on L: but it is not possible to install it on the C: disk.
it is also not possible to install packages via the "Install packages"
menu on the machine where are crashes. there is an error, which says
that R could not establish any connection, although i can open the
homepages, where downloading packages manually is possible and i can
download those packages without problems.

another thing, which is suspicious to me: i tried to install many older
versions of R on the machine where it crashes. i noticed two things. 1)
when installing older versions, there is an option in the installation
wizard "Register R path for use by the (D)COM server" (e.g. in
rw2011.exe) which is not there anymore when installing newer versions of
R (2.2.0 for instance).  2) just before the installation of older
versions is finished i get error windows, which show the following messages:

"Error creating registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\R-core
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\R-core\R
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Rdata
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWorkspace
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWorkspace\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWorkspace\shell\open\command

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
Access denied"

the "HKEY"-part in every error window is different, the
RegCreateKeyEx-part is always the same. i jump from one window to the
other by clicking the IGNORE button. after clicking it for several times
the installation is finished. this does not happen for instance with
version 2.2.0 anymore. however, for this version require("RDCOMClient")
doesn´t work. There is an error telling me error in load(dataFile, ns) :
ReadItem: unknown Type 25 and a warning message, that RDCOMClient has
been built under version 2.5.0 and that R could not load the code in
package "RDCOMClient".

another thing is: two months ago or so, i had installed windows 2000 on
the crash-machine. at that time all the RBloomberg-stuff worked
perfectly without any problems.

i´m not sure whether these information really helps, but that´s what i
noticed so far. there are no differences between both machines beside
those i described above. the question is still why on the crash machine
.Call("R_create", name, PACKAGE = "RDCOMClient")
works and
.Call("R_Invoke", obj, as.character(name), .args, ......)
produces a crash of R. that have something to do with any
adminstrator-access-permission-stuff? or windows xp itself?

thx for your help