[R] Windows OS, R and unicode

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 08:31:47 CEST 2007

Richard,

At present the \uxxxx notation only works on Windows in CJK locales, and
only to represent characters defined in the locale in use.  Now it seems
that _does_ include the signs you mention in Japanese.  So it is possible
that if you start R with

Rgui LC_CTYPE=ja

then this will work: it does for me in 2.6.0 (and I see no reason why it
would not in 2.5.1, but I updated my Windows box yesterday).

I should perhaps add that only windows() devices will work and not say
pdf().

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk