[R] Linux editor for R+LaTeX, but not Emacs

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:39:20 CEST 2007

On 10/9/07, Scionforbai <scionforbai at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It's just you, and if you think some more about it, you'll see
> >> why we are all grinning.  [ Hint: it can't be slower, outside of
> >> ridiculous corner sitations
>
> > I, personally, see tremendous slowdowns in XEmacs responsiveness when
> > the buffer gets large, probably due to font-lock pretty-printing
> > stuff.  Since ESS can't / doesn't submit the next command until the
> > fontification is done, things can slow down by a lot.
>
> Ok, so I am not the only one. Yes, I am using an old laptop with just
> 256M of ram, archlinux on it. Ess output it's just too slow, it gets
> me nervous. Is there a way to disable the syntax highlighting in the R
> buffer? Any other hint on what could improve my emacs+ess
> responsiveness?

Maybe this is trivial and/or obvious, but what I do is delete the old
output from the buffer.

So, yes, I see a slow down (with Emacs + ESS) when I have several tens
of thousands of output lines (often the result of printing out
something I really did not want to see). But I've never noticed this
slow down when I refrain from filling up the buffer with tens of
thousands of lines.

R.