[R] Linux editor for R+LaTeX, but not Emacs

Scionforbai scionforbai at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:28:41 CEST 2007

>>> is it only me or has anyone else the problem that running an R
>>> process within emacs is way much slower than in a regular terminal/
>>> console?

>> It's just you, and if you think some more about it, you'll see
>> why we are all grinning.  [ Hint: it can't be slower, outside of
>> ridiculous corner sitations

> I, personally, see tremendous slowdowns in XEmacs responsiveness when
> the buffer gets large, probably due to font-lock pretty-printing
> stuff.  Since ESS can't / doesn't submit the next command until the
> fontification is done, things can slow down by a lot.

Ok, so I am not the only one. Yes, I am using an old laptop with just
256M of ram, archlinux on it. Ess output it's just too slow, it gets
me nervous. Is there a way to disable the syntax highlighting in the R
buffer? Any other hint on what could improve my emacs+ess
responsiveness?

Actually, it is the same with auctex compiling latex documents: C-c
C-c RET takes a little more time than a simple pdflatex run, and way
more when the log buffer is opened.