[R] Type III sum of squares and appropriate contrasts

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Oct 11 19:45:23 CEST 2007

Using type III sums of squares with non-orthogonal contrasts is like the
classic grade school puzzle:

"3 men decide to share a hotel room that costs $30, so each pays $10.
The maneger realizes that the room they received is only $25 and sends
$5 back with the bellboy.  The bellboy realizes that there is no good
way to split $5 3 ways decides to help them all by giving each man $1
and keeping $2 for himself.  So each man has now paid $9 for a total of
$27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept and you get $29, but the original
total was $30.  Where is the missing $1?"

It may also be enlightening to load the fortunes package and type:
fortune("III") several times.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center