[R] Type III sum of squares and appropriate contrasts

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 11 20:34:07 CEST 2007

Dear Mark and Mel,

For some reason, I didn't see Mel's original posting.

For a different perspective on tests in, e.g., unbalanced ANOVA, see the
discussion in my text, Applied Regression Analysis, Linear Models, and
Related Methods (Sage, 1997). Briefly, if the contrasts for different terms
aren't orthogonal in the row-basis of the model matrix, then the incremental
F-test for "main effects" after all other terms isn't reasonably construed
as a test of main effects; this is what happens when you use the default
"treatment" contrasts in R. On the other hand, if the contrasts for
different terms are orthogonal in the row-basis of the design, then the
incremental F for main effects averages over interactions. This is what
happens when you use "sum" or "helmert" contrasts in R, and may not be of
interest when interactions are present, but it is at least sensibly
interpretable. In a model with covariates you also have to attend to the
centering of the covariates, for analogous reasons.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology