[R] maps does not work

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Oct 11 21:11:12 CEST 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Lukas Gudmundsson wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to draw geographical maps with the maps package. However
>
> if I try to access the data following error occurs:
> > require(maps)
> > map()
>
> Fehler in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") :
>   'destination' existiert nicht
> # Error in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") : 'destination' does not
> exist
>
> > traceback()
>
> 4: zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip")
> 3: data(list = dbname)
> 2: maptype(database)
> 1: map()
>
> To check if I have principle problems with my system I tried:
> > require(mapdata)
> > map('worldHires', col=1:10)
>
> # Works
>

> I am running R 2.6.0 and a current version of maps. But I had a
> similar problem with R 2.5.1
> Is this a known issue?
>
> thanks
> Lukas

You don't say which OS you are using and I can't reproduce this on Windows so
it is hard to give explicit recommendations, but what if you try running:
R --vanilla
then:
library(maps); map()

Alternately, try:
map("world")

I suspect you have something in your workspace or your environment that is
clashing.

Ray