[R] maps does not work

Lukas Gudmundsson lukas.gudmundsson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:39:58 CEST 2007

2007/10/11, Ray Brownrigg <Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz>:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Lukas Gudmundsson wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to draw geographical maps with the maps package. However
> >
> > if I try to access the data following error occurs:
> > > require(maps)
> > > map()
> >
> > Fehler in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") :
> >   'destination' existiert nicht
> > # Error in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") : 'destination' does not
> > exist
> >
> > > traceback()
> >
> > 4: zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip")
> > 3: data(list = dbname)
> > 2: maptype(database)
> > 1: map()
> >
> > To check if I have principle problems with my system I tried:
> > > require(mapdata)
> > > map('worldHires', col=1:10)
> >
> > # Works
> >

> > I am running R 2.6.0 and a current version of maps. But I had a
> > similar problem with R 2.5.1
> > Is this a known issue?
> >
> > thanks
> > Lukas
> >
> You don't say which OS you are using and I can't reproduce this on Windows so
> it is hard to give explicit recommendations, but what if you try running:
> R --vanilla
> then:
> library(maps); map()
>
> Alternately, try:
> map("world")
>
> I suspect you have something in your workspace or your environment that is
> clashing.
>
> Ray

First at all thanks a lot for the reply and sorry for the incomplete
informations:
OS: Windows XP, SP2, version 2002
The computer is connected to a network with several data servers
(uni). R is installed locally at the default location. I have an user
and an admin account for this computer. As the problem I have seams
not to be common a short history of what I have done so far (without
success):

1. Installed the package using the admin login at the default location

2. Installed the package from the usr account into R_LIBS_USER (C:\RLIBS)

3. I have tried to dig into the error using options(error=recover). I
did not get to far but
file == "C:/RLIBS/maps/data/worldMapEnv.r".
I had a look at the zip file in "C:/RLIBS/maps/data". It contains
worldMapEnv.r (but as I do not really understand the package
architecture I can not interpret its single line contents (worldMapEnv
<- "R_MAP_DATA_DIR"))

4. If I am trying to run any thing like example(lm) I am getting the
same error in zip.file.extract (but so far i did not care)

5. I tried to call R from the DOS box using R --vanilla but that did
not work either

6. I reinstalled maps form several CRAN mirrors

7. I tried to run maps on my private computer at home and that did
work... which increases the confusion.

again thanks for any help!

Lukas