[R] maps does not work

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:47:51 CEST 2007

I think the problem is that tempdir() has been set somewhere invalid.
However, does help() work at all, since that uses the same mechanism?

Here are some diagnostic hints:

Start an R session, printout tempdir() and see if it looks right.  Search
for the directory on your file system and see if you can create a file in
it. If it is on a remote file system there could well be permission
issues.

See ?tempdir and set (or unset) environment variables to change tempdir()
to somewhere else you know is valid.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Lukas Gudmundsson wrote:

> 2007/10/11, Ray Brownrigg <Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz>:
>> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Lukas Gudmundsson wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I am trying to draw geographical maps with the maps package. However
>>>
>>> if I try to access the data following error occurs:
>>>
>>> Fehler in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") :
>>>   'destination' existiert nicht
>>> # Error in zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip") : 'destination' does not
>>> exist

>>> 4: zip.file.extract(file, "Rdata.zip")
>>> 3: data(list = dbname)
>>> 2: maptype(database)