[R] problem installing MCMCpack

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 22:41:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Ben Bolker wrote:

> J. Henrikson wrote:
>>
>> I'm completely new to R and am trying to install an add-on package for one
>> of our faculty members.
>> I've  had no problems with most of them, but am completely stuck trying to
>> figure out why MCMCpack won't install..
>> any help is VERY much appreciated!!!
>>
>> here's what I get when I try to install the package:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>  No very specific ideas, but:
>
> * try updating R to 2.6.0?  (May not be the problem, but easy to
> do unless the faculty member is doing mission-critical work that
> depends on 2.5.1.)

And in any case many (most) of the helpers here will have updated and no
longer have 2.5.1 installed.

> * contact the package authors? (Author:        Andrew D. Martin
> <admartin at wustl.edu>, Kevin M. Quinn
>               <kevin_quinn at harvard.edu>, Jong Hee Park
>               <jhp at uchicago.edu>
> Maintainer:    Andrew D. Martin <admartin at wustl.edu>)
> * what platform, version of g++, etc.?

I believe the latter is the key, but the line numbers quoted do not seems
refer to the latest version of MCMCpack, so you might need to upgrade that
too.  I suspect the version of g++ is too old to support the features used
(but without the correct line nos it is hard to be sure).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk