[R] Matching and merging two rows with missing values

Iris Kolder I.C.Kolder at amc.uva.nl
Fri Oct 12 08:28:35 CEST 2007

Thank you for your help this works!!

x <-c("AA","AG","GG",NA, NA)
y <- c(NA, "AG", "GG", "AA", NA)

x[is.na(x)] <- y[is.na(x)]

Hello,

I have two rows which are almost identical but miss different values at
different locations. I would like to merge these two rows so that the
missing values are replaced by the element in the same column on the
other row making one row. If both rows contain a NA, NA remains in the
output.

               1     2     3     4     5

Row1  AA AG GG NA NA

Row2  NA AG GG AA NA

The output i want is one row

            1     2     3     4     5

Row AA AG GG AA NA

I tried to use the functions match,grep, and gsub but I can't seem to
make it work I would appreciate any suggestions!

Best regards,

Iris Kolder

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

This is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy/sell the
securities/instruments mentioned or an official confirmation.  Morgan
Stanley may deal as principal in or own or act as market maker for
securities/instruments mentioned or may advise the issuers.  This is not
research and is not from MS Research but it may refer to a research
analyst/research report.  Unless indicated, these views are the author's and
may differ from those of Morgan Stanley research or others in the Firm.  We
do not represent this is accurate or complete and we may not update this.
Past performance is not indicative of future returns.  For additional
information, research reports and important disclosures, contact me or see
https://secure.ms.com/servlet/cls.  You should not use e-mail to request,
authorize or effect the purchase or sale of any security or instrument, to
send transfer instructions, or to effect any other transactions.  We cannot
guarantee that any such requests received via e-mail will be processed in a
timely manner.  This communication is solely for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential information.  We do not waive confidentiality by
mistransmission.  Contact me if you do not wish to receive these
communications.  In the UK, this communication is directed in the UK to
those persons who are market counterparties or intermediate customers (as
defined in the UK Financial Services Authority's rules).