[R] Rmpi building

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 15 20:53:40 CEST 2007

Sean,

On 15 October 2007 at 12:03, Sean Davis wrote:
| I am trying to build Rmpi on Suse 10.2 linux.  While I would like to use
| the RPM version of liblam-7.1.2, I have not been able to do so.  It
| seems that Rmpi makes some pretty strong assumptions when trying to
| guess the MPI version.  Has anyone successfully built Rmpi against
| lam-7.1.2 recently using R-2.6.0?  If so, can you give some pointers
| about where the libraries and header files need to be to have Rmpi "do
| the right thing"?  I have perused the configure file in the Rmpi
| distribution without much success.

On Debian/Ubuntu, I had to 'freeze' LAM at 7.1.1. It failed with the newer
ones, incl 7.1.4.  I never really looked too hard why ... as the plan was to
migrate to Open MPI as soon as feasible.  And I am happy to report that the
newest Rmpi, with one small additional change that should appear on CRAN
soon, builds fine against Open MPI.  If you can, consider migrating from LAM
to Open MPI.

Hth, Dirk