[R] Problem with R(D) Com and R within Excel

Tolga Uzuner tolga at coubros.com
Tue Oct 23 10:21:57 CEST 2007

Dear R Users,

I am having trouble using R from within Excel. I've installed R(D) Com
Client and then try to open up the first sample sheet.

As Excel executes auto_open, it stops at function "ExcelVersionMajor"
and complaines that a certain type library is missing:

missing rcom 1.0 type library

It appears to be looking for this in the wrong directory:
C:\Progra~2\R\R-24~11\library\rcom\libs\rcom_srv.tlb

I am currently using R2.6.0 which is located in Program Files\R\R-2.6.0

The library it is looking for is in a subdirectory there in library\rcom\libs

When I link in that library through the References dialog box in VBA
and rerun Auto_Open, that version of Excel works fine.

However, if I close down that Excel and reopen, I get the same problem
an have to relink.

I looking at the Environment Variables under System in Control Panel
but there is nothing there which refers to either of the two
directories.

How can I fix this problem ?

My version of Excel is Excel 2002 SP3 and version of Windows is XP
Professional SP2.

Thanks,
Tolga