[R] error message: "the instruction at "0x6c72c676" referenced memory of "0x00000010". The memory could not be "written"."

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 07:50:15 CEST 2007

Hello Oliver,

Recalling my past, this looks to me like a message one
gets when there is a memory violation in C.
When the problem size is small this violation may
"visit" a memory address which it is allowed to and
there is no exception (but even then you can not fully
trust your result). When the memory usage increases it
"visits" an address which it is not allowed to and the
exceptions occurs. After all, a big portion of R is
written in C and Fortran.
I do not know how R is supposed to deal with native
code and whether it should have prevented the
occurrence of such an exception.

Regards,

Moshe.

--- "Hoenig, Oliver" <Hoenig.Oliver at commerzbank.com>