[R] Package Build fails: make ./help: no such file or directory

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Wed Oct 24 18:27:45 CEST 2007

Dear List,

After having installed R 2.6.0/Windows 2000, my trusted command script to build
and install my package fails with an error message I do not understand. I have
installed a fresh copy of Rtools, and made sure that these are the first on the
path.
For testing, I am using a package version from an older backup where I am sure
that everything else was ok.

PATH=c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;c:\Rtools\perl\bin.....

The error message is:
make: *** ./help: No such file or directory.  Stop.

What is the full path of the missing directory? When I create an empty .help
directory, there is another warning that this was not supposed to be there?

Any help?

Dieter

%>rcmd build Dmisc
* checking for file 'Dmisc/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'Dmisc':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* removing junk files
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* building 'Dmisc_0.5.0.tar.gz'

%>rcmd check  Dmisc
* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory 'C:/Documents and Settings/Dieter/My Documents/R/Dmisc/Dmi
sc.Rcheck'
* using R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
* checking for file 'Dmisc/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'Dmisc' version '0.5.0'
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... OK
* checking whether package 'Dmisc' can be installed ... ERROR
Installation failed.
See 'C:/Documents and Settings/Dieter/My Documents/R/Dmisc/Dmisc.Rcheck/00instal
l.out' for details.

//// File 00install.out
installing R.css in C:/DOCUME~1/Dieter/MYDOCU~1/R/Dmisc/DMISC~1.RCH

---------- Making package Dmisc ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  installing R files
  installing man source files
  installing indices
  installing help
make: *** ./help: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [pkg-Dmisc] Error 2
*** Installation of Dmisc failed ***

Removing 'C:/DOCUME~1/Dieter/MYDOCU~1/R/Dmisc/DMISC~1.RCH/Dmisc'