[R] text in boxplots

Yves Moisan ymoisan at groupesm.com
Fri Sep 7 18:04:28 CEST 2007

6. set the reset.par argument to FALSE in calling scatterplot as it
states in the documentation for scatterplot.  (still look at the help on
'xpd' argment to par if you want to add text to the margins).

Hi Greg,

That seems to have done it partly.  I set it to false once and then I could
see some text afterwards, even with reset.par set to TRUE.

About my not following posting guidelines, I'm sorry but I thought my
question didn't require me to post code.  I suspected graphics parameter to
be off, so the question was why a difference between mtext and text.  Also,
I mentioned earlier that I had succeeded in writing text to the plot for
regression stats (in the reg function of scatterplot.formula) where I did
use what seem to be the normal tricks [e.g. par("usr")].  I couldn't figure
out why setting new graph variables in the main scatterplot.formula function
in the form of

usrGlobal <- par("usr")

then calling

text(usrGlobal[2]-50,usrGlobal[4]-50,paste("Moyenne = ",r ...)

did not show any text whereas it did in the reg function.

But of course, pasting code could have been shorter for people to read ;-).

Thanx for your help.