[R] Strange behaviour of lars method

Wiebke Timm wtimm at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Sep 20 20:06:30 CEST 2007

Thanks for your answer!

On 20.09.2007, at 12:48, Tim Hesterberg wrote:

> Might you be having numerical problems?

That might very well be what's happening. Did hope that it only
happens late in the procedure so I can ignore it, but those Cp values
indicate I maybe can't.

> If you're using the "lars"
> library, it uses cross-product matrices, which are notoriously
> numerically unstable in regression calculations when there is
> high multiple correlation among the x's.

...as is the case in my data. Good to know...

> We have a prototype package that offers more stable calculations,
> using QR decompositions.
> See http://www.insightful.com/Hesterberg/glars
> Let me know if you'd like to try this.

Yes, please!

Just also had a peak at the ProcASA paper that's linked there... I
did not know about elastic net before, maybe I will try that too for
comparison... In fact (like always) I don't really know what method
would be best.

Did you try lars or glars on some more noisy/bad/difficult data sets?
How good is its stability/generalization capability on these?
You write the original LARS method is for linear regression. But it
includes the lasso solutions. Lasso can have nonlinear solutions
because of the penalty used. Or did I misunderstand something?

Regards,
    Wiebke