[R] Non-metric multidimensional scaling

Silvia Lomascolo slomascolo at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 20 20:57:30 CEST 2007

>Error in isoMDS(Gquad.dist) : zero or negative distance between objects
>179 and 180.
>How can I handle this, is it valid to add 0.5 to every element in the
>distance matrix or is someother  alternative more appropriate?

This means that your objects 179 and 180 are identical so just remove one of
the two.  They both have the same distance to all other objects so your
results shouldn't change.  Whatever conclusion you draw from the location of
one on your plot, you can say the same for the other.

Silvia.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve Friedman, PhD

Everglades Division

Senior Environmental Scientist, Landscape Ecology

South Florida Water Management District

3301 Gun Club Road

West Palm Beach, Florida 33406

email:  sfriedma at sfwmd.gov

Office:  561 - 682 - 6312

Fax:      561 - 682 - 5980

If you are not doing what you truly enjoy its your obligation to
yourself to change.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]