[R] Proposal: Archive UseR conference presentations at www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Sep 24 10:34:40 CEST 2007

[ Sorry to join in late, as Uwe already wrote I was offline in the
Austrian Alps. ]

  > On 9/18/07, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

The above redirection has already been in place for some time now,
i.e.,

	http://www.r-project.org/useR-2008

works for me and redirects to Dortmund.

  >> > I'm fine with the proposal to move abstract or presentation to
  >> > www.r-project.org after the useR-2008. Having it local is much easier
  >> > during the organization periods. I know this is one of the topics some
  >> > useR organizers are currently discussing in the Austrian mountains
  >> > (where I should be as well given I've had some more time these days).
  >>
  >> It would be even more useful to use subdomains like
  >> user2007.r-project.org so that we could host the content at a site
  >> other than on the R server (this would make it much easier for me, as
  >> I won't need to change the site at all to work on the r-project
  >> server).  I'm happy to advise on how to do this, if you (Fritz?) have
  >> access to your DNS records.

  > The nameservers for the R-project.org domain are located here at the
  > University of Wisconsin.  I can request a CNAME of
  > user2007.R-project.org be added if you tell me (off-list) the IP
  > address and ANAME of the machine to which it should point.

I think I like Hadley's proposal of collecting conference webpages
(after the conference is over) to one of our servers
better. Redirecting to pages at different locations is dangerous when
people move on to new positions.

E.g., I currently have the "problem" that since both Kurt and myself
are no longer at TU Wien, we cannot guarantee how long
www.ci.tuwien.ac.at will be up and running, and we were talking last
week about moving the old DSC webpages to the server at WU running
www.R-project.org.

So it would make a lot of sense to me to collect old conference pages
to a central location under the www.R-project.org umbrella. During the
active phase of a conference it is certainly better to have them on
a server under control of the local organizing committee.

Just my 2c,
Fritz

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                 http://www.stat.uni-muenchen.de/~leisch