[R] Proposal: Archive UseR conference presentations at www.r-project.org/useR-yyyy

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:25:27 CEST 2007

> I think I like Hadley's proposal of collecting conference webpages
> (after the conference is over) to one of our servers
> better. Redirecting to pages at different locations is dangerous when
> people move on to new positions.

That wasn't my suggestion, but I can understand your desire to do
that.  Perhaps just taking a static snapshot using something like
wget, and hosting that on the R-project website would be a good
compromise.

> E.g., I currently have the "problem" that since both Kurt and myself
> are no longer at TU Wien, we cannot guarantee how long
> www.ci.tuwien.ac.at will be up and running, and we were talking last
> week about moving the old DSC webpages to the server at WU running
> www.R-project.org.

Yes, this is why I prefer to host all of my sites on an external host.

> So it would make a lot of sense to me to collect old conference pages
> to a central location under the www.R-project.org umbrella. During the
> active phase of a conference it is certainly better to have them on
> a server under control of the local organizing committee.

The one problem is setting up a redirect so that existing links and
google searches aren't broken.  This would need to be put in place at
least 6 months before the old website closed.

Hadley
--
http://had.co.nz/