[R] New R website: R-Cookbook.com

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sat Sep 29 09:29:14 CEST 2007

Hi Jeff,

You give a very long answer, and I don't want to comment each of you
points individually. The Wiki is flexible enough so that pages can be
arranged the way people want (they can add new sections too if they
want; the proposed structure is only a *suggestion* and by the way, the
structure is a consensus produced by a team of a couple of dozen R
users, which should give it a little bit of credit). There is a search
engine, and an RSS feed, too. Author that want to get authorship on one
page can ask me to lock their page, if they want, so that other people
cannot edit them. And finally, nothing forbid anyone to add other
solutions to a given problem, either on a different page, or on the same
page as the original answer. Searching for pages produced by a given
author is simple: just enter his name in the search box at top-right and
click search (try "Paul Johnson", for instance).

So, may be, you are not aware enough of the possibilities provided by
the Wiki, otherwise, you would know that most features provided by
R-Cookbook.com already exist in the R Wiki (in a slight different form,
for some of them). And the Wiki offers more, like unlimited version
checking, the possibility to revert back to any old version of the
document, to compare two versions, to include math equation in LaTeX, or
a simplified syntax called ASCIIMathML, etc, etc.

Furthermore, I really don't see an advantage to classify your recipes by
authors, when the kind of recipes you propose is more or less a copy and
paste from a discussion in the R mailing list, and the "author" is the
people that does this copy-paste, not the real author that formulated
the original answer in the R mailing list (sic)!

And YES, R-Cookbook.com does duplicate R-Wiki, indeed. Because the main
goal (a series of R recipes in addition to the official R documentation
provided by R users) is *exactly* the same one for both sites! In fact,
the two major sections of R-Cookbook.com, "recipes" and "guides" are
nothing else than a reincarnation in a different skin of the "tips" and
"guides" sections of the R-Wiki... and the third section, "forum", is
really duplicating the official R mailing lists.

Now, for just the little bit I discover from R-Cookbook.com, the
"non-linear" way of navigating through recipes is very nice (for
instance, the "similar recipes" section at the end... note that this
feature could be added as well in the wiki through a plugin).

I really believe that the community should join the force, not to spend
time to duplicate existing features. In this way, I would expect
comments and feedback on the existing tools (the R Wiki) to make it
better. What? You don't like the presentation? So, what could you
propose (it is Xhtml, so one can reskin the R Wiki site totally, if
needed). You don't like the "linear" presentation (calling a wiki
presentation as "linear", is absurd, but anyway)? So, why not to
contribute a dokuwiki plugin to provide a "similar pages" section at the
end of each wiki page, in order to navigate the same way as in your
Drupal site? It is PHP, and I believe you should be able to program this
plugin easily, if you were able to program a "HighlighteR" module on top
of Drupal for your R-Cookbook.com.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (