[R] Error message "got a real'

David Kaplan dkaplan at education.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 7 02:56:12 CEST 2008

   Thanks, I'm not sure why it wasn't saved as a .csv.  I posted it to the R
   Mac list and the general R list because in the past when I've posted to the
   R Mac list I was told it wasn't a R question.  Because this problem didn't
   appear  with  the  windows  verson  of R, I wasn't sure which list was
   appropriate.  There was no intention to be inconsiderate.
   David
David Kaplan, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Educational Psychology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Educational Sciences, Room, 1061
1025 W. Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53706

email: dkaplan at education dot wisc dot edu
homepage:
[1]http://www.education.wisc.edu/edpsych/facstaff/kaplan/kaplan.htm
Phone: 608-262-0836

   Duncan Murdoch wrote:

     David Kaplan wrote:

        Yea, I checked that, but that wasn't the problem.  I'm sending the
     input and
        a much smaller file.  It's in .csv format.  The input is for the Mac,
     and
        I'm beginning to think it might be a Mac issue.  The program input
     lines
        come from John Fox's program sem

     The test.csv file isn't a csv file (which is a text format, with comma
     separated columns).  It looks like your spreadsheet let
     you name it with extension .csv, but didn't save it in that format.
     By the way, posting the same question 6 minutes apart on two mailing lists
     is quite inconsiderate; please don't do that.
     Duncan Murdoch

        David
     David Kaplan, Ph.D.
     Professor
     Department of Educational Psychology
     University of Wisconsin - Madison
     Educational Sciences, Room, 1061
     1025 W. Johnson Street
     Madison, WI 53706
     email: dkaplan at education dot wisc dot edu
     homepage:
     [1][2]http://www.education.wisc.edu/edpsych/facstaff/kaplan/kaplan.htm
     Phone: 608-262-0836
        Duncan Murdoch wrote:
          David Kaplan wrote:
             Hi all,
             I'm running the program sem on a Mac, but I'm getting a message
     that I
          think
             is quite general.  The error reads
              Error  in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
          na.strings,
             :
               scan() expected 'a real', got '10652)'
             The 10652 is the sample size coming from a .csv file where I have
          header =
             TRUE.
          It appears to be finding a parenthesis too.  That's not a real.
          Duncan Murdoch