[R] Types in grouped multi-panel (lattice) xyplot

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:00:00 CEST 2008

On 4/11/08, Dieter Menne <dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:
> Deepayan Sarkar <deepayan.sarkar <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > > Try
>  > >  xyplot(val ~ loc | mouse, data = df,
>  > >        groups=valtype,
>  > >        type=c("p","l"),
>  >        distribute.type = TRUE,
>
> > >        col=c("black", "blue"))
>
>  For all who like me had difficulties finding distribute.type in the docs: it is
>  documented in panel.superpose, which means you must know that panel.superpose is
>  active when there is a groups= argument.
>
>  Deepayan, would it be possible to have some cross-references in xyplot, such as:
>
>  distribute.type   see panel.superpose

Do you mean in the See Also section? I'm happy to consider a patch,
but note that the entry for panel already has:

          'panel.xyplot' has an argument called 'type' which is worth
          mentioning here because it is quite frequently used (and as
          mentioned above, can be passed to 'xyplot' directly).  In the
          event that a 'groups' variable is used, 'panel.xyplot' calls
          'panel.superpose', arguments of which can also be passed
          directly to 'xyplot'.

I think the help page is simply too big to be useful as something more
than a reference. My UseR!2007 talk did describe this and other useful
tricks, and that talk is available from the conference website.

-Deepayan