[R] memory issues

ddepew at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca ddepew at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 17 00:57:41 CEST 2008

Oddly enough, the variogram modelling is rather quick in Surfer, but
one cannot compute the standard errors. I restricted the search to the
approximate the range of the variogram model (2000m). I can get R to
compute with 12079 observations, but 13453 and I run into the gstat
error message.

I guess it's really down to 1) trying to reduce the original dataset
2) adding 1 to 2 Gb of RAM
3) running the predictions on a Linux machine with suitable RAM.

I couldn't reproduce the memory.limit() issue. I'll chalk that up to
errant typing on my part.

Quoting Rubén Roa-Ureta <rroa at udec.cl>:

> I think any geostatistical program/R package would have trouble
> handling 12000 observations on a PC. The empirical variogram would be
> built with the combinations of 12000 over 2 pairs, nearly 72 millions
> pairs, and during kriging, if you didn't restrict the search
> neighbourhood, interpolation would involve solving something very big,
> more so if you defined a fine grid, ... Try restricting the search
> neighbourhood, if you didn't, with maxdist and nmax.
>
> Rubén
>

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> I think the clue is that the message you quote comes from gstat,
>> which does not use R's memory allocator.  It is gstat and not R
>> that has failed to allocate memory.
>>
>> Try re-reading the help page for memory.size.  'max=T' does not
>> indicate the limit (that is the job of memory.limit()), but the
>> maximum 'used' (acquired from the OS) in that session.  So 19Mb
>> looks reasonable for R's usage.
>>
>> I don't understand the message from memory.limit() (and the
>> formatting is odd).  memory.limit() does not call max() (it is
>> entirely internal), so I wonder if that really is the output from
>> that command. (If you can reproduce it, please let us have precise
>> reproduction instructions.)
>>
>> There isn't much point in increasing the memory limit from the
>> default 1.5Gb on a 2Gb XP machine.  The problem is that the user
>> address space limit is 2Gb and fragmentation means that you are
>> unlikely to be able to get over 1.5Gb unless you have very many
>> small objects, in which case R will run very slowly.  In any case,
>> that is not the issue here.
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Dave Depew wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I've read the R for windows FAQ and am a little confused re:
>>> memory.limit and memory.size
>>>
>>> to start using R 2.6.2 on WinXP, 2GB RAM, I have the command line "sdi
>>> --max-mem-size=2047M"
>>> Once the Rgui is open, memory.limit() returns 2047, memory.size()
>>> returns 11.315, and memory.size(max=T) returns 19.615
>>>
>>> Shouldn't memory.size(max=T) return 2047?
>>>
>>> Upon running several operations involving kriging (gstat package,
>>> original data file 3 variables, 12000 observations)
>>> the program runs out of memory
>>>
>>> "memory.c", line 57: can't allocate memory in function m_get()
>>> Error in predict.gstat(fit.uk, newdata = EcoSAV.grid.clip.spxdf,
>>> debug.level = -2,  :
>>> m_get
>>>
>>> Immediately following this,
>>>
>>> memory.limit() returns [1] -Inf
>>>                       Warning message:
>>>                           In memory.limit() : no non-missing arguments
>>> to max; returning -Inf
>>>
>>> memory.size() returns 24.573.
>>>
>>> memory.size(max=T) returns 46.75
>>>
>>> To my untrained eye, it appears that R is not being allowed access to
>>> the full memory limit specified in the cmd line....if this is the case,
>>> how does one ensure that R is getting access to the full allotment of RAM?
> [...]
>>> LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
>>> States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United