[R] Converting from encapsulated postscript to encapsulated pdf

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 17 01:40:15 CEST 2008

I have several old encapsulated postscript graphics generated by R that
I want to include in a LaTeX Beamer presentation so I want them in pdf.
  Under Ubuntu linux typing

convert z.eps z.pdf (to use ImageMagick)

results in a nice looking graphic but the bounding box is lost.  Doing

convert z.eps z.epdf

results in a fuzzy image with a good bounding box.

Does anyone have a nice solution?

Thanks
Frank