[R] Converting from encapsulated postscript to encapsulated pdf

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Apr 17 02:19:16 CEST 2008

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> I have several old encapsulated postscript graphics generated by R that
> I want to include in a LaTeX Beamer presentation so I want them in pdf.
>   Under Ubuntu linux typing
>
> convert z.eps z.pdf (to use ImageMagick)
>
> results in a nice looking graphic but the bounding box is lost.  Doing
>
> convert z.eps z.epdf
>
> results in a fuzzy image with a good bounding box.
>
> Does anyone have a nice solution?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

Frank,

Do you only have EPS files or do you also need to include PDF files?

If the former, you can use Beamer with latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf as an
alternative to using pdflatex as a single step.

If you need to have them as PDF's, two other options:

1. Use 'epstopdf':

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/epstopdf.html

which is a Perl script that uses GS to do the conversion.

2. Use 'epstopdf.sty', which is part of the oberdiek CTAN bundle. This
will enable the conversion of the EPS files to PDF as part of using
pdflatex.  A link is here:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/epstopdf-pkg.html

This will actually call the epstopdf Perl script above.

HTH,

Marc