[R] Research Notes

JRG loesljrg at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 15:31:19 CEST 2008

> Tom Chr Backer Johnsen wrote:
> > I can at best say that this question is related to R.
> >
> > What has become more and more obvious to me after I started using R
> > about two years ago is that I have collected a large number of data
> > files, scripts, and workspaces (.Rdata files) in several catalogs on my
> > computer.  It is also obvious that my memory is not up to the task of
> > keeping track of everything.  Of course, this is not simply an R thing,
> > it also applies to other kinds of documents of various kinds.
> >
> > Perhaps what is needed is some type of computerized "Research notebook",
> > and I wonder if any of the readers of list have had this problem and
> > have a suggestion in respect to a solution.  Two possibilities I have
> > been sniffing at is "Instant Recall" (USD 99) and "AskSam" (much more).
> >   Which others may be useful?

You might consider Treepad Lite (www.treepad.com).  It's a tiny, free-form tree-structured
notebook/database/text editor.  It stores stuff as plain text, so you can easily copy/paste to
other software.   It's available for Windows and Linux, and it's free --- though more elaborate
versions are available as shareware.

(No connection, etc.  Just a happy, long-term user.)

---JRG