[R] How to plot wind direction and strength field

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Apr 29 12:55:06 CEST 2008

Jenny Barnes wrote:
> Dear R-help community,
>
> I have searched through the archives and not been able ot find any
> advice on how to plot a wind field with one arrow per grid square with
> the arrow pointing in the direction of the wind and it's size
> proportional to the wind strength.
>
> I have the wind speed data in arrays of [lon,lat,uwind] and
> [lon,lat,vwind] so it is broken down into u and v components. How do I
> plot it though?!?!
>
> Any suggestions very wecome indeed - I seem to have hit a brick wall.....

Hi Jenny,
Some time ago, there was a request for a direction field plot. I
programmed a basic function, but perhaps the person found another
solution, for I never heard any more of it. However, this is not too
hard to do in R, even adding the arrows to a geographical plot. Could
you post some data and perhaps a link to an example of what output you
would like?

Jim