[R] FastICA

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 09:57:31 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, someone with no signature wrote:
>
> > Maura E Monville <maura.monville <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >> Is the FastICA R implementation as good as the MatLab Implementation ?
> >> I would appreciate talking to someone who has used FastICA for R.
> >
> > The fastICA packages for Matlab and R (and there is even a version for
> > Python) have a common origin at the Helsinki University of Technology.
>
> Have you actually looked at the R one?  The code has no connection with
> Helsinki University of Technology.  'Credit where credit is due' and all
> that.

Oh yes, you are right and I am sorry.

I started working with fastICA for Matlab and referring to the page

    http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/ica/fastica/

and its uncommented link to "fastICA in R" I always assumed it uses the same
code base (never looking at 'credits').

Well, then you are the right person to answer this question.

> > Matlab and R, not seeing much of a difference in packages like these.
> >
> > //  Hans Werner Borchers
>
> Or quite possibly someone else using Mr Borchers name.

Not really.