[R] FastICA

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 13:50:11 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, someone with no credentials wrote:

> I may not have been as wrong as Prof. Ripley suggested when I wrote "The
> fastICA packages for Matlab and R (...) have a common origin at the Helsinki
> University of Technology."
>
> Please consider the following lines from the 'fastICA' help page (?fastICA):
>
>   FastICA algorithm

>        This is an R and C code implementation of the FastICA algorithm
>        of Aapo Hyvarinen et al. (<URL: http://www.cis.hut.fi/aapo/>)
>        to perform Independent Component Analysis (ICA) and Projection
>        Pursuit.
>
> So the C code base is not the same, I guess, but "The code has no connection
> with Helsinki University of Technology" does not seem to be totally correct.

It was 'totally correct'.  Obviously fast ICA (the algorithm description)
originated with someone at the Helsinki University of Technology, but the
fastICA package for R has no other connection.

This was like crediting R's and SAS's code for ANOVA to Rothamsted
Research Station just because R. A. Fisher used to work there, and
equally unhelpful.