[R] X11 plotting error

cls59 sharpsteen at mac.com
Wed Aug 13 00:05:06 CEST 2008

Hey everyone,

I'm part of a team working at NOAA and we have developed a swan script that
analyzes data and generates plots for the forecasters. We are ready to put
the script on the cron and call it a summer but a technical issue has popped
up which has us puzzled.

When we run the script as an unprivileged user, it bails when png() gets
called to open a device for the output. The error is

unable to open connection to X 11 display ' ':

When we run the script as root, everything works like a charm. The user has
ownership of the plotting directories where the script drops it's output.
The unprivileged user can run R interactively, but use of x11() or any other
plotting commands fail.

Any Linux users out there who might have any ideas on how to straighten this
out?

We are using Red Hat Enterprise 4.

-Chuck