[R] X11 plotting error

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 13 04:46:11 CEST 2008

Hmmm... the short answer is that your call to png() is requiring X11 to
generate the plot. Don't know what version you're running, but prior to
R 2.7.0, all png() calls needed access to the X server to create the
plots (on Unix). But with 2.7.0 and later, png() can be called with
type='cairo' to generate plots without X11 intervention.

If you're running an earlier version of R and you can't upgrade, then
you could install the Cairo package which supports png output without
X11 intervention.

Best,

Jeff

--