[R] rgl/compiz problem

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 17:28:20 CEST 2008

2008/8/13 Ben Bolker <bolker at ufl.edu>:
> Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> I have just encountered the problem with rgl where plot3d figures
>> don't interact with the mouse. My plots zoom in and out with the mouse
>> wheel but the mouse buttons do nothing. I can't rotate the plot.

 I just showed this problem to a colleague who also uses fancy wobbly
windows on his Ubuntu box, and he had the same problem. But then with
some random frustrated clicking his scatterplot moved! It rotated
slightly! What? How did he do that? He didn't know!

 So he tried mouse buttons in combination. Holding B1 and then B3 and
moving the mouse resulted in a zoom operation. Holding first B3 and
then B1 resulted in rotation functionality. B3 and then B2 resulted in
the field-of-view change operation. These three operations were what
should have happened with B3, B1 and B2 presses on their own.
Seemingly the mouse presses didn't get through to rgl unless another
mouse button was held down. It's quite general. Hold Bx and then hold
By and you get the functionality of By.

 Back in my office, the same things worked for me too. So as long as I
do that, everything is fine for me. Unfortunately my colleague has the
problem of not having any window decorations and having the rgl window
go invisible when moved... Oh well, he can't win them all!

 Barry