[R] Two envelopes problem

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Tue Aug 26 18:02:56 CEST 2008

Mark

My experience was similarly frustrating. Maybe formulating the
problem a bit differently could help to clarify it.
State it like this:
Someone chooses an amount of money x. He puts 2x/3 of it in one
envelope and x/3 in an other. There is no assumption about the
distribution of x.
If you choose one envelope your expectation is x/2 and changing may
lead to a gain or a loss of x/6.
In my view there is no basis for a frequentist conditional
expectation, conditional on the amount in the first envelope. Of
course, after opening the first envelope and finding a, you know for
sure that x can only be 3a or 3a/2, but to me there seems to be no
basis to assign probabilities to these two alternatives.
I am aware of the long lasting discussion and of course this will not end it.

Heinz