[R] Two envelopes problem

Farley, Robert FarleyR at metro.net
Tue Aug 26 19:13:59 CEST 2008

So if I put $10 and $20 into the envelopes, then told you that the
values were multiples of $10, it would be wrong for you to assess
probabilities on $100, $1,000,000 and so on? :-)

But what if you reasoned that there were far more multiples of 10 above
20 than below 20?

What if I was really evil and the multiples of 10 that I always put in
the envelopes were 0x$10 and 0x$10.  When you opened an empty envelope,
what are the odds the other has $1,000,000?  What are the odds it has
$10?

It seems the information given can be misleading.

Robert Farley
Metro
www.Metro.net