[R] Examples of advanced data visualization

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 11:26:27 CET 2008

On 01-Dec-08 09:22:34, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Ted Harding
>> <Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I visited that URL (with the extra "t"!), and got a message
>>> from my browser (Iceweasel on Debian Etch, which is Firefox
>>> under another name) that additional plugins (unspecified)
>>> were needed to display the material.
>>>
>>> When I clicked on the "Install Missing Plugins" button, the
>>> result was
>>>
>>>  No suitable plugins found
>>>  Unknown Plugin (text/svg+xml)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for further progress?
>>
>> Ted, what is your browser version? If 2.x, then I'm afraid that you'll
>> have to upgrade to 3.x, or install Opera.
>
> Oooops, maybe I am wrong, see
> http://perlitist.com/articles/on-firefox2-and-svg
>
> Gabor
>
>> Gabor
>>
>>> With thanks,
>>> Ted.

Hmm ... Interesting. Many thanks for the reasearches, Gabor.
Yes, it is a 2.x version.

That URL states:

  "[...] So what was the cause of all this woe and despair?
   Well it all stemmed from the fact that I upgrades from
   1.5 to 2, and in 1.5 I was using the Adobe SVG plugin
   which disables the built-in SVG rendering. Firefox 2
   helpfully copied this setting, but not the plugin.

   For future reference svg.enabled in about:config needs
   to be true for the built-in SVG viewer to be used."

I checked the status of "svg.enabled" in 'about.config',
and I see that it is TRUE.

Further, exploring my ~/.mozilla tree, I do not see any reference
to an Adobe SVG plugin -- the only Adobe plugins are for Acrobat
Reader and Flash Player.

So there is a bit more to this than meets the eye. Maybe I should
try to find a different source of SVG material, maybe less
demanding than Hans Borchers's examples, to see whether the alleged
built-in SVG capability really works anyway.

Thanks again!
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 01-Dec-08                                       Time: 10:26:23