[R] How to get Greenhouse-Geisser epsilons from anova?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Dec 6 22:45:13 CET 2008

Nils Skotara wrote:
> Thank you, this helped me a lot!
> All within effects and interactions work well!
>
> Sorry, but I still could not get how to include the between factor..
> If I include D with 2 levels, then myma is 24 by 28. (another 12 by 28 for the
> second group of subjects.)
> mlmfitD <- lm(myma~D) is no problem,
> but whatever I tried afterwards did not seem logical to me.
> I am afraid I do not understand how to include the between factor.
> I cannot include ~D into M or X because it has length 24 whereas the other
> factors have 28...

Just do the same as before, but comparing mlmfitD to mlmfit:

anova(mlmfitD, mlmfit, X=~A+B, M=~A+B+C)
# or anova(mlmfitD, mlmfit, X=~1, M=~C), as long as things are balanced

gives the D:C interaction test (by testing whether the C contrasts
depend on D). The four-factor interaction is

anova(mlmfitD, mlmfit, X=~(A+B+C)^2, M=~A*B*C)

> Zitat von Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk>:
>
>> Skotara wrote:
>>> Dear Mr. Daalgard.
>>>
>>> thank you very much for your reply, it helped me to progress a bit.
>>>
>>> The following works fine:
>>> dd <- expand.grid(C = 1:7, B= c("r", "l"), A= c("c", "f"))
>>> myma <- as.matrix(myma) #myma is a 12 by 28 list
>>> mlmfit <- lm(myma~1)
>>> mlmfit0 <- update(mlmfit, ~0)
>>> anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~C+B, M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,
>>> test="Spherical"), which tests the main effect of A.
>>> anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~A+C,  M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,