[R] How to get Greenhouse-Geisser epsilons from anova?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Dec 8 19:11:17 CET 2008

Skotara wrote:
> Thank you for your help!
> Sorry, for bothering you again..
> I still have trouble combining within and between subject factors.
> Interactions of within factors and D having only 2 levels work well.
>
> How can I get the main effect of D? I have tried anova(mlmfitD, mlmfit).
> With D having 3 levels I would expect the dfs to be 2 and 33. However,
> the output states 84,24??

That's not a main effect, it's a simultaneous test of all 28 components.
  What you need is an analysis of the average of all
within-measurements. In principle that is obtained by X=~0, M=~1 or
T=matrix(1,1,28) but there's a bug that prevents it from working (fixed
in R-patched a couple of days ago).

> As long as the between factor has only 2 levels the between/within
> interactions fit well with SPSS, but if D has 3 levels, the mismatch is
> immense.
> If I calculate the within effects with myma having  not 12 subjects from
> one group but for example 24 from 2 groups, the output treats it as if
> all subjects came from the same group, for example for main effect A the
> dfs are 1 and 35. SPSS puts out 1 and 33 which is what I would have
> expected.. ..

Hmm, there's a generic problem in that you can't get some of the
traditional ANOVA table F tests by comparing two models, and in your
case, SPSS is de facto using the residuals from a model with A:D
interaction when testing for A. It might help if you try

anova(mlmfitD, X=~..., M=~...)

Look at the (Intercept) line.