[R] Problems with large data frames?

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:32:54 CET 2008

If it converts into a factor although it appears to be numeric, then there
is probably a string entry somewhere in this variable, which causes R to
convert the whole variable into a factored variable (which results in
dummies in the regression). You will want to check whether there are any
excess delimiters (spaces or what not) in the observations that you have
added.

Say x is your variable. Do

is(x)

before and after adding the 1000 observations. If x is numeric before and
factor after adding the observations, then it tells you that the above
mentioned problem exists in the added observations.

Best,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus