[R] maps and lattice

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Feb 6 10:02:30 CET 2008

Hi,

I use the spplot function from the sp package, it uses lattice to make
spatial plots. The sp-package provides spatial classes for R. See
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/ for more information on the use of
spatial data in R, http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/gallery/ gives a
gallery of spatial plots with the R code it was created by. For
questions on spatial data in R the r-sig-geo mailing list is also a good
option (https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo).

hope this helps!

Paul

Jon Loehrke wrote:
> Is it possible to place maps onto lattice plots?
>
> With basic plotting you can add a map to a plot
>
> library(lattice)
> long<-c(-69.2, -69.5, -70.1, -70.3)
> lat<-c(41, 41.5, 43.2, 42.8)
> plot(long, lat)
> map('state', c("massachusetts"),add=TRUE)
>
> but is it possible with lattice?
>

> library(lattice)
> factor<-c(1,1,2,2)
> xyplot(lat~long|fact)
> ...now what?
>
> I have looked at panel and found through google an extravagant shape
> file export/import to R.
> Is there a simpler fix?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Jon
>
> School for Marine Science and Technology
> UMASS-Dartmouth
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography